Pilot Project to Test the Feasibility of Tire Derived Aggregate (TDA) asa Roadway Embankment Fill Material and Pavement Insulation Layer in Alberta
Albertans discard more than five million scrap tires annually through the tire recycling program managed by Alberta Recycling Management Authority (Alberta Recycling). They also rely on coal to service nearly fifty percent of energy demands (Alberta Energy), generating large ash deposits. The productive use of scrap tire and bottom ash is an important environmental consideration in managing waste materials and an effective cost saving strategy for provincial and municipal governments. Use of recycled shredded scrap tires and industrial waste products, such as bottom ash, for purposes like embankment or base course for roadways reduces first, the waste stockpiled in landfills and second, the depletion of our non-renewable natural resources for soil and gravel. For this project, we used nearly one million scrap tires in Alberta to produce roughly 8,000 tonnes of Tire Derived Aggregate (TDA) to be used as embankment fill material, and pavement insulation layers for a pilot test road. The nominated project aligns with the spirit and intent of the Transportation Association of Canada's Environmental Achievement Award. Embracing the main goal of environmental protection and cost benefit, a partnership was formed between Alberta Transportation, Alberta Recycling, the City of Edmonton and the University of Alberta to explore the feasibility of waste and recycled materials as alternative aggregates for road construction. The project marks the first use of TDA for road construction in Alberta and will provide the transportation industry with unique data and analysis specific to cold-climate regions. This project was nominated for the TAC 2013 Environmental Achievement Award. For the covering abstract of this conference see ITRD record number 201310RT334E.
- Record URL:
Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- Publication Date: 2013
- Pagination: 8 p.
- Monograph Title: 2013 Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada - Transportation: Better - Faster - Safer
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Conferences; Electric insulating materials; Embankments; Evaluation; Pavement layers; Pavements; Recycling; Rubber; Tests; Tires; Winter
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- ITRD Terms: 4577: Aggregate; 8018: Canada; 8525: Conference; 2801: Embankment; 9020: Evaluation (assessment); 6914: Insulation; 2952: Layer; 2955: Pavement; 4573: Recycling (mater); 7494: Rubber; 6255: Test; 1381: Tyre; 2575: Winter
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements; I33: Other Materials used in Pavement Layers;
- Accession Number: 01518038
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)
- Files: ITRD, TAC
- Created Date: Mar 11 2014 10:59AM