Photo-radar and red-light camera systems at traffic lights
In the early 2000s, the Quebec Government considered using automated photo-radar systems for traffic enforcement as a means to improve road safety. In light of the lack of public acceptance for this type of approach at the time, the initiative was discontinued. Between 2000 and 2006, with Quebec's road safety record worsening, public opinion surveys showed that road safety was clearly becoming more of a priority public health concern across the province. In response to these new public attitudes and in an effort to stem the upward trend in road accident rates, the Quebec Government declared 2007 as the Year of Road Safety. At the same time, the Table quebecoise de la securite routiere (Quebec Road Safety Task Force - TQSR) was taking shape and its work quickly took on a clear focus. With a total of 45 members representing private sector organizations and government agencies involved in road safety, the TQSR's mandate is to provide recommendations to the Minister of Transport with specific measures to improve road safety. MTQ considered the ideas and concerns of a broad range of stakeholders, paving the way for the TQSR to achieve consensus on a recommended pilot project. This recommendation was approved by the Minister, who followed by announcing the development of a pilot project involving the installation of photo-radar systems at 15 designated high occurrence accident locations throughout the province. As no comparable initiatives had ever been tested or implemented on Quebec soil, this project provided excellent opportunities for innovation. This project was nominated for the TAC 2013 Road Safety Engineering Award. This paper was published in French as Radars photographiques et surveillance aux feux rouges (see ITRD 201310RT670F). For the covering abstract of this conference see ITRD record number 201310RT334E.
- Record URL:
Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)Ottawa, Ontario Canada
- Publication Date: 2013
- Pagination: 12 p.
- Monograph Title: 2013 Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada - Transportation: Better - Faster - Safer
- TRT Terms: Automation; Conferences; Crash rates; Law enforcement; Photography; Radar; Safety; Speed; Tests; Translations
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- ITRD Terms: 1612: Accident rate; 3882: Automatic; 8018: Canada; 8525: Conference; 1534: Enforcement (law); 6751: Photography; 6738: Radar; 1665: Safety; 5408: Speed; 6255: Test; 8538: Translation
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I73: Traffic Control; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 01518037
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada (TAC)
- Files: ITRD, TAC
- Created Date: Mar 11 2014 10:59AM