A STUDY OF THE MAGNITUDE OF TRANSPORTATION NOISE GENERATION AND POTENTIAL ABATEMENT
Evaluations of the effectiveness of transportation noise abatement require the use of a measure which relates individual and community reactions to transportation noise. Previous studies were examined to determine how well various measures predicted response to noise. A-weighted Sound Level (in dBA) and Noise Pollution Level (in dBA) were examined to determine their relationships to other measures and their prediction of reaction, i.e., loudness, annoyance, noisiness. The A-weighted sound level, on the average, correlated as well with subjective response as the other measures. Only for jet aircraft pure tones was there a significant predictive performance difference between Effective Perceived Noise Level (EPNL) and dBA, favoring EPNL. These differences was not considered important for this study since the correlations between dBA and subjective responses were generally greater than 0.90. Average community response measures have been developed for aircraft and motor vehicle noise. Using the aircraft Noise and Number Index and motor vehicle Traffic Noise Index data, the Noise Pollution Level was shown to correlate as well with average community response as both of the measures. Since Noise Pollution Level is compatible with the use of dBA for individual vehicles, its selection as a community measure complements the choice of dBA as a vehicle measure.
- Project sponsored by Department of Transportation.
Serendipity, Incorporated2001 Jefferson Davis Highway
Arlington, VA USA 22202
- Publication Date: 1970-11
- Pagination: 116 p.
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Aircraft noise; Environment; Forecasting; Index numbers; Jet propelled aircraft; Noise; Noise control; Pollution control; Social values; Sound level; Traffic noise; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Abatement; Jets; Noise reduction; Transportation noise
- Old TRIS Terms: Community values
- Subject Areas: Environment; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00261048
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Office of Systems Development and Technology
- Report/Paper Numbers: OST-ONA-71-1 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-A9-018
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 22 1974 12:00AM