PERFORMANCE PREDICTIONS OF RESONATOR MUFFLERS
Measurements were made of the performance of a number of resonator mufflers inserted in turn in the exhaust system of a six-cylinder two-stroke diesel engine which developed approximately 200 horsepower. An axial traverse was made of the pressure fluctuations within the muffler and for a distance of about 2 feet 0 inch on either side of it. Narrow-band analysis of these pressure fluctuations revealed a series of standing wave patterns from which the overall behavior of the muffler could be determined and compared with the predicted performance.
- Proceedings of Purdue Noise Control Conference, Purdue University, 14 July 1971.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Aeronautics and Astronautics
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907
- Alfredson, R J
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustics; Diesel engine exhaust gases; Diesel engines; Emission control systems; Exhaust gases; Forecasting; Measurement; Mufflers; Noise; Noise control; Performance; Performance measurement; Pressure
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00261045
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 22 1974 12:00AM