THE EFFECT OF LOWER LEGAL DRINKING AGES ON YOUTH CRASH INVOLVEMENT
This legal impact study was designed to determine if the alcohol-related crash experience changed with legislation which lowered the legal drinking age to 18. An effort was also made to find out if a statistically significant change in accident rates (if found) could be causally related to the legal change. The existence was investigated of plausible rival hypotheses which would challenge a casual relationship between the legal change and resulting changes in accident rates, and an investigation was made of the extent to which these can be controlled by design or analysis. Details are given of the study design in which two control groups and an experimental group were identified on the basis of legal posture, geographic distribution, data availability and demographic and social characteristics. Data definitions and analyses detailed. The analysis was performed in two steps which were designed to test the statistical significance of changes in magnitude of alochol-related crash frequencies and rates of young and old drivers, and to investigate the age-specific alcohol-related crash frequency distributions of young drivers before and after the effective dates of new legal drinking ages in the experimental states. The results are tabulated and discussed. Characteristics are set forth which must be considered in the prediction of the consequence of a lower drinking age on youth crash rates.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Douglass, R L
- Filkins, L D
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Age; Alcohols; Analysis; Collisions; Crash injury research; Crash rates; Definitions; Design; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Geography; Hypothesis testing; Impact studies; Laws; Population; Research; Social factors; Teenage drivers; Young adults
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hypothesis
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00260998
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 22 1974 12:00AM