STEAM TURBINE DRIVEN RESEARCH VESSEL ENTERS SERVICE FOR N.E.R.C.
A description is given of a steam turbine driven research vessel that was recently completed and delivered to the National Environment Research Council of Great Britain. This vessel was primarily built for biological and general oceanographic work, and is a result of feasibility studies that had been carried out prior to the designing of the ship. The unusual machinery and superstructure arrangement is explained, and the various ship specifications are also given. Descriptions are also given of the auxiliary engines and electrical power production, the remote engine control system, and the various laboratories and scientific spaces aboard the ship.
Engineering, Chemical and Marine Press, Limited33-39 Bowling Green Lane
London EC1P 1AH, England
- Publication Date: 1973-5-11
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Shipbuilding and Shipping Record
- Volume: 121
- Issue Number: 19
- Publisher: Transport and Technical Publications Limited
- TRT Terms: Oceanographic vessels; Ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship descriptions (Oceanographic)
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00047695
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 31 1973 12:00AM