Asset management of ageing rolling stock
The MTR Corporation Limited (MTRCL) operates one of the busiest urban metro systems in the world which carries over 2.2 million passengers each day. The MTR railway system consists of five urban metro lines and one airport express line as shown in Figure 1. There are totally 1050 railcars of different series in the fleet to provide quality and efficient services for people of Hong Kong as well as visitors to Hong Kong. This paper describes the process of the Asset Management as applied to the ageing rolling stock, typically to the Urban Line train fleet. Some of the vehicles have been in service for some 25 years. The process includes asset introduction, monitoring during service life cycle, life extension and planning for replacement. The experience on the Asset Management gained by MTRCL revealed that through proper preventive maintenance, continuous improvement of the equipment reliability, overhaul periodicity of train and some of the important equipment can be much extended. This can help in saving manpower and material consumption. It also concluded that the extension of asset life by a systematic and pragmatic approach is one of the important means of effective cost control. Extension of the asset service life will not only reduce the depreciation, but also provide better long-term financial planning for replacement of the aged rolling stock.
- Record URL:
- Yuen W
- Publication Date: 2004
- Pagination: 7p.
- Monograph Title: New horizons for rail: CORE 2004: conference on railway engineering, June 20-23 2004, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
- TRT Terms: Asset management; Passenger transportation; Railroad trains
- ATRI Terms: Asset management; Passenger transport; Train
- ITRD Terms: 2428: Ecobalance
- Subject Areas: Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01517203
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 8:13PM