Hunter rail cars for the State Rail Authority of New South Wales
The State Rail Authority awarded a contract for seven two-car diesel powered train sets to United Goninan in December 2002. The first set is due for completion in December 2004. The contract includes two options, one for a further five rail cars, and another for one three-car train set modified for long distance travel. The contract provides United Goninan with an opportunity to develop a vehicle platform that will be suitable for applications in other markets. This paper describes the technical features of these rail cars as well as the challenges involved in developing a design for a relatively small number of highly sophisticated vehicles. The specification includes requirements for very high levels of crashworthiness, passenger comfort, accessibility, a sophisticated train operating system, and a structured systematic approach to the engineering management of the project. The paper provides details of how these requirements are addressed, as well as the way in which stakeholder requirements are identified and managed through user-centred design. The design draws heavily on experience gained from the design and manufacture of the Prospector highspeed diesel train sets supplied to WAGRC. The cars will be equipped with Cummins QSK-19 diesel engines, Voith T312 transmissions and United Goninan-designed bogies.
- Record URL:
- Duncan B
- Publication Date: 2004
- Pagination: 8p.
- Monograph Title: New horizons for rail: CORE 2004: conference on railway engineering, June 20-23 2004, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Passenger transportation; Railroad trains; Vehicle design
- ATRI Terms: Diesel engine; Passenger transport; Train; Vehicle design
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01517202
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 8:13PM