Fatal level crossing accident, Cairns tilt train
This paper summarizes the outcomes of an investigation that was conducted into a fatal collision that occurred between a diesel powered passenger train and a B-double truck at a level crossing in far north Queensland in November 2008. The paper examines the factual information associated with the occurrence, the key areas analysed during the investigation, an overview of level crossings in Australia and the use of higher mass limit road vehicles in Australia. The risks posed to the rail industry at level crossings are highlighted, particularly in regard to higher mass road vehicles, the effect of high transverse loading on a locomotive cabin and the importance of monitoring higher mass road vehicles.
- Record URL:
- Matters L
- Publication Date: 2010
- Pagination: 6p.
- Monograph Title: Rejuvenation and renaissance: CORE 2010: conference on railway engineering, 12-15 September 2010, Wellington, New Zealand
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Railroad grade crossings; Railroad transportation
- ATRI Terms: Crash investigation; Level crossing; Rail transport
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 01517135
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 8:09PM