A new travelling experience: the Epping to Chatswood rail link
The recently opened Epping to Chatswood Rail Link is one of the largest infrastructure projects undertaken in Australia in recent years. The new line connects the CityRail network’s Northern Line and North Shore Line via Epping and Chatswood and includes three new stations. The construction and commissioning process included a number of challenges and opportunities for the NSW Government’s delivery agency, Transport Infrastructure Development Corporation, and CityRail owner and operator, RailCorp. These challenges and opportunities led to successes and innovations in tunnel construction, track design and rail systems. Conducting a formal post-implementation review has allowed lessons learned to be identified related to areas including the delivery strategy, governance, construction quality and commissioning processes that can be shared with the rail industry. This paper discusses some of the challenges and innovations of the Epping to Chatswood Rail Link and outlines the lessons learned throughout the design, planning, construction and commissioning of this sophisticated and technologically innovative new passenger railway service.
- Record URL:
- Azzi R
- Publication Date: 2009
- Pagination: 50p.
- Monograph Title: AusRAIL PLUS 2009, doing more with less, 17-19 November 2009, Adelaide, South Australia
- TRT Terms: Infrastructure; Passenger transportation; Project management; Railroad transportation
- ATRI Terms: Infrastructure; Passenger transport; Project management; Rail transport
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01517008
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 8:03PM