Domestic wagon design and manufacture for a competitive advantage
Bradken, as a partner to the rail freight industry is continually working with specialist consultants and operators to design, develop and introduce high capacity rollingstock to meet the increased demand for operator productivity and efficiency within the bulk commodity and intermodal freight markets. The current role and performance of rail as a transport mode in Australia is a product of past events surrounding government regulation and changes in technology. Since rail began in this country back in the mid 1800’s, rollingstock designers and manufacturers have endeavoured to maximise operational efficiency, whether that included increased payload, reduced tare mass, reduced track wear, or increased fuel efficiency. The methods and practises adopted for handling the different freight commodities have varied widely in achieving different degrees of efficiency. These methods and practices combine to form key elements that drive the Australian Freight Rollingstock industry into the future.
- Record URL:
- Cummings D
- Publication Date: 2003
- Pagination: 4p.
- Monograph Title: AusRAIL PLUS 2003, investing in Australian rail - strategies and solutions, 17-19 November 2003, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- TRT Terms: Freight transportation; Railroad transportation; Vehicle design
- ATRI Terms: Freight transport; Rail transport; Vehicle design
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01516972
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 8:01PM