New concept for the protection against lightning overvoltages and touch voltages in railway systems
Overvoltages in electrical supply networks of AC and DC railway networks result from the effects of lightning strokes and switching actions and cannot be avoided. Protection concepts for AC and DC railway systems are introduced considering the protection of equipment (against overvoltages) and the protection of persons (against touch voltages) in the same time. Of great importance is the safety aspect in public places, as for instance train stations, rail crossings, etc., considering the different insulation of the rails and the earthing concepts. The requirements and ratings for MO-surge arresters are based on the relevant EN standards and national guidelines. A recently developed hybrid voltage limiter, which combines overvoltage protection and the protection against dangerous touch voltages, is introduced.
- Record URL:
- Bernhard A
- Richter B
- Publication Date: 2005
- Pagination: 6p.
- Monograph Title: AusRAIL PLUS 2005, 22-24 November 2005, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- TRT Terms: Electricity; Infrastructure; Insulation systems; Railroad transportation
- ATRI Terms: Electricity; Infrastructure; Insulation; Rail transport
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Economics; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 01516900
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 7:57PM