EcoPack: diesel hydraulic drives
In the light of ever rising energy prices, reducing the energy consumption and thus operating costs of rail vehicles is becoming increasingly urgent. As a manufacturer of diesel hydraulic drive systems Voith Turbo is faced with this growing challenge as well as generally cutting emissions such as noise, CO2 and diesel particles. The answer is a package of innovative developments; demonstrated in a prototype called ECOpack. At the 2006 Berlin Innotrans, Voith Turbo presented its ECOpack drive package showing what is already technically feasible today in the areas of thrifty use of resources, emission minimization and noise reduction. New innovative solutions were engineered into a technically matured standardRailpack. These ready-to-install underfloor packages for diesel multiple units and railcars comprise of harmonised main components such as diesel engine, air intake and exhaust treatment equipment, turbo transmission, cooling system and alternator suspended in a carrying frame along with couplings, cardan shafts and finaldrives. The ECOpack is an enhanced Voith- Powerpack to show new innovations in order to significantly reduce energy consumption and CO2 emissions, exhaust emissions, diesel particles and also noise emissions. The ECOpack-study showcases seven specific innovationsin different areas of the drive system.
- Record URL:
- Aeugle R
- Publication Date: 2008
- Pagination: 2p.
- Monograph Title: AusRAIL PLUS 2008, capacity, climate & culture, 1-2 December 2008, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Diesel fuels; Railroad trains; Railroad transportation
- ATRI Terms: Diesel fuel; Emissions control; Rail transport; Train
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01516840
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Mar 4 2014 7:54PM