COMMUNITY/SCHOOL BUS PROJECT. A PILOT PROJECT USING SCHOOL BUSES FOR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
The Community/School Bus Project, funded by a demonstration grant from UMTA, was designed to test the feasibility of using school buses for public transportation when not in school service, thus obviating formidable capital investment in equipment. Klamath Falls, Oregon, is a small urban community (approximately 36,000) lying in the heart of a sparsely populated region. Prior to the commencement of this project the area has been without the public bus service since 1958. According to the 1970 Census, nearly 15% of the population was 62 years of age or older. The combination of a number of conditions, namely, a community without public transportation and a growing demand for such service, the resistance of taxpayers to local budget increases, and the existence of idle school buses led to the conception of this demonstration project. Three objectives were: (1) to test and report on feasibility of using school buses for public transportation during their idle hours; (2) to evaluate the need for public transportation in the area; and (3) to lay a foundation for continuing a public bus service after conclusion of the project. The two phases of the project were during the 1972-3 school year when service was part-time and during the summer of 1973 when buses were continually available. Organization, operations, community response, local versus state operation, legislation, conclusions and recommendations are discussed. Photographs complement the text and appendices include advertising techniques. /UMTA/
Klamath Area Transit226 South 5th Street
Klamath Falls, OR United States 97601
- Publication Date: 1973-12
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Pilot studies; Public transit; School buses; Small cities; Social impacts; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Community consequences; Pilot study
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00260637
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-OR-06-0001-73-1Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 22 1981 12:00AM