BUS DEMONSTRATION PROJECT. SUMMARY REPORT NO. 2: TOTTENHAM. CONTRA FLOW BUS LANE WITHIN A ONE WAY TRAFFIC SCHEME
The report describes a traffic management scheme with a contra flow bus lane that was introduced in 1970. The scheme involved diverting southbound traffic from Tottenham high road into a one way gyratory system. The contra flow bus lane in the high road enabled buses to keep to their existing route. The main purpose of the overall scheme was to reduce congestion and improve the flow of traffic while that of the bus lane was to avoid the diversion round the one way system which would cause inconvenience to passengers, additional distance for buses and difficulties with changing crews from the Tottenham garage. The effects on general traffic and on buses in particular have been studied and the results are presented in terms of traffic flow, bus journey times, bus reliability, bus lane operation and accidents. The scheme as a whole is small in extent and it could not of itslef lead to large improvements in the bus service, but the bus lane effects a reduction of 3 minutes in journey time compared with time round the Gyratory System (about 8 minutes). Buses entering the bus lane are already subject to irregularity and the scheme has had little effect on this feature. The bus lane appears to have caused no great difficulties for delivery vehicles or for pedestrians. However there is some suspicion, although not significant in the statistical sense, that accidents have increased and this is the subject of further investigation. Further information on the flow of buses through the bus lane is appended.
Department of the Environment, England2 Marsham Street
London SW1P 3EB, England
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- Issue Number: 2
- TRT Terms: Bus lanes; Crashes; One way traffic; Time; Traffic control; Traffic flow
- Old TRIS Terms: Time factor
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 1272: Bus; 632: Congestion (traffic); 697: Journey time; 2771: One way street; 654: Traffic control; 671: Traffic flow; 2827: Traffic lane
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00260140
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 5 1974 12:00AM