THE CLASSIFICATION OF SOME BRITISH SOILS ACCORDING TO THE COMPREHENSIVE SYSTEM OF THE UNITED STATES
The authors introduce the soil classification system that has been produced by the soil survey staff of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and gives details of the profile descriptions that are used in the main part of the monograph. Details are given of the analytical methods that were used and of the diagnostic horizons that are used in the classification with special reference to the way in which they apply to British soils. The main part of the monograph is concerned with the way in which the classification relates to British soils. Six chapters respectively deal with the main orders of soils (entisols, inceptisols, spodosols, mollisols, alfisols and histosols). An introduction to each includes a table listing the great groups that are of importance in Britain; this is followed by an account of each group illustrated by a total of 78 profiles of soils in the more important groups. A general discussion includes a list of the orders, sub-orders and great groups that occur in Britain. The authors conclude that the classification is of great value as an International Reference System, and that, in spite of apparent weaknesses, it cannot be improved upon as a basis for soil surveys in Britain.
- Soil Survey Technical Monograph No. 3.
Maculay Institute for Soil ResearchCraigiebuckler, Aberdeen, ZZ Scotland
Rothamsted Experimental StationHarpenden, Hertfordshire, England
- Ragg, J M
- Clayden, B
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 227 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Classification; Geological surveying; Soil types; Soils
- Uncontrolled Terms: Soil classification
- Old TRIS Terms: Soil classification systems
- ITRD Terms: 8513: Classification; 4156: Soil; 8119: United kingdom; 8122: Usa
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00260052
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rpt.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1974 12:00AM