HOW MANY BIRTHDAYS FOR AMTRAK?
The author reviews the turbulent history of AMTRAK's first year, as well as the numerous difficulties due to its inheritance from the railways, the widely contested negotiations undertaken by its management, the redoutable problem of its relations with the railways owning the track, its financial preoccupations, and the disappointments of the public during its first year of operation. He poses the question of its chances of survival, and outlines a number of actions of a limited, although spectacular, nature, which could improve its image, and ensure that it is sufficiently popular to justify the assistance which it will undoubtedly need.
- Appeared as #419 in International Railway Documentation, No. 4, 1973.
International Society for Terrain-Vehicle SystemsBox 4824, Duke Station
Durham, NC USA 27706
- PATTON, E P
- Publication Date: 1972-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- High Speed Ground Transportation Journal
- Volume: 6
- Issue Number: N2
- TRT Terms: Passenger service
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00046975
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Railway Congress Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1974 12:00AM