INTERNATIONAL COLLOQUIUM ON THE SHARING OF RAILWAY KNOWLEDGE. THEME NO 2: THE MEANS OF SHARING KNOWLEDGE. THE SET-UP OF POSSIBLE STRUCTURES
The above report shows the method which it is proposed to adopt in order to find a solution to the multiple aspects and inherent difficulties resulting from the very different levels of railway knowledge throughout the world. When dealing with international organisations, the disparity between their potential, and their activities, in the field of documentation, is shown. In present circumstances, and basing on an enquiry carried out by the OECD, it would appear to be utopian to attempt to concentrate all documentation at one point. Before considering automation, the most rational solution would be to elaborate a flexible structure, on several levels, with a certain amount of re-grouping in accordance with affinities, and to make full use of the existing organisations. After interventions by the delegates, and with the object of formulating concrete proposals, it was suggested that the solutions to be considered should be examined by a Working Party, whose remit would later be defined. The appendices show the UNISIST recommendations, information concerning existing organisations, a proposed method of classifying documents, and the theses presented by the SZD in regard to the sharing of knowledge.
- Appeared as #397 in International Railway Documentation, No. 4, 1973.
International Railway Congress Association17-21 rue de Louvrain
1000 Brussels, Belgium
- Squilbin, I R
- Publication Date: 1972-11
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Information organization; Management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Information exchange
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00046971
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Railway Congress Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1974 12:00AM