A Study on Appropriate length of Passing Lane in Consideration of Traffic Characteristics of Two-Lane Roads in South Korea
There are three sections in two-lane roads: a no-passing section in which passing is prohibited in both directions; a passing section allowing partial passing; and an added lane (either left or right of driving lane, defined as passing lane section in this study) designed for partial passing. Relative congestion in passing lanes or sections allowing passing can be calculated by quantifying delay in a no-passing section in two-lane roads, and this could serve as valuable reference material if it contributes to better traffic conditions. This study established a congestion model in a no-passing section by performing regression analysis with field survey data retrieved from the 88 Olympic Expressway, ran TWOPAS, which is a traffic flow analysis program in two-lane roads, developed a congestion estimation model in passing sections by simulating many passing lanes with different lengths, and finally analyzed congestion reduction in passing lanes compared to no-passing lanes by different lengths. The analysis found USHCM 2000's linear model to be a more reliable estimation model for PTSF (percent time spent following), which indicates congestion in two-lane roads, than a non-linear model. The appropriate length of a passing lane should be more than 2.0 km when there is heavy traffic (1,000vph) as indicated by applying the model formula derived in this study to the TWOPAS model. In this case, congestion reduced by an average of 23% compared to the no-passing section. Furthermore, 1.5 km in length of passing section can also turn out to be effective for softening congestion.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/18770428
- Abstract reprinted with permission from Elsevier
- Kim, YoungRok.
- Lee, SukKi.
- Moon, JaePil.
- Jeong, JunHwa.
- Choi, JaiSung.
- 8th International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies (ICTTS 2012)
- Location: Changsha , China
- Date: 2012-8-1 to 2012-8-3
- Publication Date: 2012
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 671-680
- Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Volume: 43
- Issue Number: 0
- Publisher: Elsevier
- ISSN: 1877-0428
- Serial URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/18770428/53
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Passing lanes; Traffic characteristics; Traffic congestion; Traffic flow; Two lane highways
- Identifier Terms: TWOPAS (Computer model)
- Geographic Terms: South Korea
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 01500551
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 6 2013 11:35AM