The rehabilitation of drivers who have committed repeated or serious driving offences

The aim of the study was to analyze the key aspects of successful rehabilitation after repeated or serious driving offences. After participating in the Medical Psychological Assessment (MPA), 1,631 subjects filled in a questionnaire about rehabilitation efforts in order to regain their driver aptitude. Around half (52.6 per cent) of the participants felt themselves to be optimally informed about the rehabilitation process. The other half (47.4 per cent) judged the level of information to be less than satisfactory. The group of offenders who did not partake in counseling prior to the MPA achieved a successful result only about half as often (37.1 per cent) as those who did (70 per cent) and are around three times more likely to have additional courses imposed upon them (21 per cent). If offenders received crucial and relevant information at an early stage, it emerged that 62.4 per cent of these individuals attained a positive evaluation at the first attempt (regardless of having attended any training courses). The success rate for the first attempt rose to 81 per cent for those cases where offenders were well informed at an early stage and in addition participated in training measures prior to their first MPA. The results clearly indicate that the provision of relevant information at an early stage combined with counseling has a beneficial influence on success rates for the rehabilitation process (an increase from 37.1 per cent to 81 per cent). On the basis of these results, we recommend the introduction of an obligatory diagnostic procedure with a status assessment, counseling and the development of an individual program of measures by the start of a driving ban at the latest.

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Pagination: 290-5
  • Monograph Title: 20th International Conference on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety Conference Proceedings, 25-28 August 2013, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01495674
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: ARRB
  • Files: ITRD, ATRI
  • Created Date: Oct 17 2013 10:12AM