There is an App for That!
In recent years, the rise of smartphones has brought new power to the devices we carry with us every day. The vastly growing market has attracted large amounts of creativity to devices originally designed to only make phone calls. Like many other industries, the world of transportation has begun to adapt to this technology. The days of using a physical map are over. Soon, hailing a cab or driving around looking for parking will be relics of the past as well. In this paper, a variety of smartphone software applications (apps) are discussed which have transformed the way we live our lives. The categories of apps covered include built-in maps, traffic and parking information, public transportation, taxi services, airlines, and data collection.
- Record URL:
- Abstract reprinted with permission from the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)Washington, DC United States
- McKinnon, Ian A
- Fitzpatrick, Cole D
- ITE 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibit
- Location: Boston Massachusetts
- Date: 2013-8-4 to 2013-8-7
- Publication Date: 2013
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 6p
- Monograph Title: ITE 2013 Annual Meeting and Exhibit
- TRT Terms: Airlines; Data collection; Driver information systems; Maps; Parking; Public transit; Smartphones; Taxi services
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 01492980
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 2013 10:41AM