On the Big Screen
Competition in technology for traffic management and control centers has increased significantly in recent years. Suppliers have introduced better products and customers are changing the way they operate. This benefits both traffic authorities and emergency services. One firm is focusing on integrating other equipment rather than manufacturing its own screens or processors. In addition, it is acting as a client advisor and becoming more involved in the very early stages of projects, which gives it a good vantage point from which to comment on the technology market for traffic operations. One of its recent roles involved acting as a design consultant for a new traffic management center. This increased competition is resulting in the development of solutions at lower cost. The supply base has grown significantly in recent years, with the doubling of the number of processor manufacturers worldwide. Manufacturing costs have been reduced, and clients are offered a greater number of choices. This allows them to select what is most appropriate for their needs and to realize they often don’t need a lot of the functionality that is offered.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/35183091
- This Article was Published Online with the Title: More for Less with Traffic Control Centre Technology.
- Masters, Jon
- Publication Date: 2013
- Media Type: Print
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: pp 53-54
- TRT Terms: Competition; Digital displays; Highway operations; Information processing; Physical distribution; Technological innovations; Traffic control centers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 01491893
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 29 2013 1:20PM