Evaluation of an initiative to reward correct traffic behaviour in the Province of Limburg : study into the effects of a pilot with individual and collective town area-related rewards for speed behaviour in urban areas.
Evaluatie van een beloningsactie in het verkeer in Limburg : onderzoek naar de effecten van een pilot met individuele en collectieve wijkgerichte beloningen op het snelheidsgedrag binnen de bebouwde kom.
Research has shown that the risk of a crash as well as its severity is related to the speed driven. For vulnerable road users (e.g. cyclists) in particular, it is important that the speeds driven by motor vehicles are sufficiently slow in order to increase their chances of surviving if a crash were to occur. Vulnerable road users are not protected by their vehicle, like for example drivers of passenger cars. Traditionally, speed violators are punished with fines. But research indicates that the opposite of punishment, namely rewarding, can also be effective. The present pilot study has investigated whether speed violations can be discouraged by rewarding drivers when they obey the speed limit. This report may be accessed by Internet users at: http://www.swov.nl/rapport/R-2013-07.pdf
- Record URL:
Stichting Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Verkeersveiligheid SWOV,
- Duivenvoorden, CWAE
- Stelling, A
- Goldenbeld, C
- Hagenzieker, M P
- Publication Date: 2013
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Drivers; Prevention; Regions; Speed limits; Traffic; Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: Stichting Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek Verkeersveiligheid
- Uncontrolled Terms: Limburg
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- ITRD Terms: 1855: Driving (veh); 1578: Reward (incentive)
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 01487642
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute for Road Safety Research, SWOV
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-2013-7
- Files: ITRD, SWOV
- Created Date: Jul 18 2013 2:00PM