OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS OF A SIMPLE SHUTTLE UNDER LOCAL DISPATCHING RULES
A transportation system with Poisson passenger arrivals at each of two terminals and a carrier of capacity one that shuttles back and forth between the terminals is treated. Exact and approximate expressions are obtained for the number of carrier trips per unit time and average queue size at each terminal. They are used to show that it is best never to hold the carrier at the slow terminal and not to randomize the decision process.
- Ignall, E
- KOLESAR, P
- Publication Date: 1972-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- OPERATIONS RESEARCH
- Volume: 20
- Issue Number: 6
- Publisher: NEWELL, GORDON F.
- TRT Terms: Operations research; Passenger service; Rapid transit; Shuttle service
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00046425
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1974 12:00AM