Energy loss in vehicle collisions from permanent deformation: an extension of the 'Triangle Method'
The paper presents an extension of the 'Triangle Method', to evaluate the energy loss in road accidents. The improvement of the method allows to evaluate the energy loss by both the colliding vehicles in car to car impacts, considering the main possible configurations of accident. The limits of applicability of the method are those of the Campbell's method. The advantage over the usual methods are that the method does not require the knowledge of the stiffness of the vehicles and only two parameters are needed to define the damage geometry. The latter can be easily evaluated by visual inspection on a suitable photographical documentation of the damages, without the need to perform any direct measurement on the vehicles. Furthermore, the method can be used also in the very frequent cases in which some of the damage data about one of the vehicles are missing or in accidents involving lateral parts of the vehicle as zones near the wheels or the front, that have different behaviour from that tested in the classical crash tests. The error analysis developed shows that the errors due to the application of the extended method are negligible and fall in the range generally considered acceptable in road accident reconstruction.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00423114
- Abstract reprinted with permission from Taylor & Francis.
- Vangi, Dario
- Begani, Filippo
- Publication Date: 2013-6
- Media Type: Print
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: pp 857-876
- Vehicle System Dynamics
- Volume: 51
- Issue Number: 6
- Publisher: Taylor & Francis
- ISSN: 0042-3114
- EISSN: 1744-5159
- TRT Terms: Crash reconstruction; Crashes; Deformation; Dissipation; Motor vehicle dynamics; Traffic crashes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I80: Accident Studies; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 01488046
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 3 2013 12:58PM