This article describes how ensuring effective asset management is crucial to delivering reliable infrastructure. The article discusses how maximizing the economic benefit of infrastructure assets can be achieved through delivering better quality maintenance. Clearly, by tracking infrastructure condition closely, huge gains can be made in addressing technical issues before they become more serious and more costly, as well as minimizing disruption. In the United Kingdom (UK) city Birmingham, high resolution aerial photography is helping the city council undertake a host of transport related applications to ensure that traffic keeps moving. The digital map layer is made available to specialist users through the council’s Geographical Information System (GIS) and to every desktop in the organization with a simple view only browser. Purchased to update existing aerial photography the 100mm resolution dataset allows users to undertake multiple tasks in the office, which reduces the time spent by council staff in the field.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/25073860
- This article was published online with the title: Efficient Asset Management Delivers.
- Woof, Mike
- Publication Date: 2013-4
- Media Type: Print
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: pp 63-64
- TRT Terms: Aerial photography; Asset management; Condition surveys; Data collection; Economic benefits; Geographic information systems; Infrastructure
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; I20: Design and Planning of Transport Infrastructure; I60: Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 01482880
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 2013 12:37PM