The Result of a Baseline Survey on Drink Driving in Nanning and Liuzhou of Guangxi Province, China

Because the official data in China on drink-driving accidents as well as related fatalities and injuries are much lower than many of the developed and developing countries in the world, the Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP) decided to conduct a baseline survey to understand the prevalence of drunk driving and related accidents in Nanning and Liuzhou, both in Guangxi Province, in order to develop targeted interventions. The baseline survey included a roadside survey and an accident survey. Motor vehicle (including motorcycles) drivers were randomly stopped for a breath test and interview in the roadside survey. In the accident survey, all drivers involved in a road accident resulting in at least 1 person killed or seriously injured were requested to provide a blood sample. A total of 10,685 drivers accepted the random breath test and 10,666 drivers were interviewed in the roadside survey. An examination of the raw (unweighted) breath alcohol readings reveals that of the 10,685 breath-tested drivers, 730 (6.8%) had positive blood alcohol concentrations (BACs); 245 of these drivers (2.3% of all drivers) had BACs below 20 mg/100 mL; 415 (3.9% of all drivers) were driving under the influence (DUI; 20 mg/100 mL–80 mg/100 mL); and 70 (0.7% of all drivers) were driving while intoxicated (DWI; ≥0.80 mg/100 mL). Overall, 4.6% of the drivers had BACs over 20 mg/100 mL (the lowest legal BAC limit in China). Among the 10,666 interviewed drivers, only 4.8% were aware of the lowest national BAC limit (20 mg/100 mL); 24.9% had been discouraged by other people from driving after drinking; 78% had never been stopped by the traffic police for a BAC check during the last 2 years (during 2005–2006), and only 0.3% had been punished for drunk driving. The accident survey results revealed that an average of 34.1% of road accidents (Nanning: 25.7%; Liuzhou: 48%) were alcohol related; the mean BAC level of the drivers in the accidents was 156.7 mg/100 mL and the highest was 310 mg/100 mL. Valuable information was obtained from the baseline survey to provide a better understanding of the drunk driving situation in Nanning and Liuzhou. From the survey data it can be seen that drinking and driving was a major issue in both cities. A drink driving intervention was developed with both components of public education/social marketing and enforcement activities after the survey, which was conducted in 2008. However, this article will focus on the methodology and results of the baseline survey, not the activities and outcome of the intervention.

Language

  • English

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01483935
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: May 28 2013 10:48AM