ELECTRIFYING COULD SAVE MONEY
A case for electrification has been made by General Electric Co. Over a 30-year period, electrification of a thousand miles of high-volume railroad line could produce a savings of $1.5 billion. New incentives for electrification include technology to operate locomotives at 50 kv, 60 Hz which means fewer substations; thyrister-controls for locomotives; rising diesel fuel costs; and increasing interest by utilities to gain railroads as customers through electrification.
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT USA 06010
- Publication Date: 1973-5
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Railway System Controls
- Volume: 4
- Issue Number: 5
- Publisher: Business Press International Limited
- TRT Terms: Economics; Planning; Railroad electrification
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00046307
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1974 12:00AM