MECHANIZED TRACK INSPECTION: WHERE IT IS TODAY, WHERE IS IT HEADING?
Technology is available for mechanizing track inspection, but traditional methods are waging a stubborn battle against the new techniques which have been accepted in varying degrees on some roads but rejected on others. However, a significant point is the fact that no railroad after having acquired a track recorder, ever abandoned the idea later. The C&O/B&O, the Southern, the Canadian National, the Chicago and North Western, the Louisville and Nashville have track inspection cars which are described in this article. At least two track-measuring cars of European origin are now commercially available, the Matisa (Tamper) Trackfax car and the latest, the Plasser EM-50 Track Recording Car which has been in operaton on the Union Pacific. The technology of track-measurement and data processing has been brought to a high level of sophistication in the track-recording cars developed for the Department of Transportation. Known as "Rail Research Track and Vehicle Response Measuring Cars", these are self-propelled cars designed for operation in electrified territory, but operated also on portions of a number of roads and in more or less regular use for track-measurement in the Northeast Corridor.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1763403
Simmons-Boardman Publishing CorporationP.O. Box 350
Bristol, CT USA 06010
- Publication Date: 1973-3
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- Railway Track and Structures
- Volume: 69
- Issue Number: 3
- Publisher: Simmons-Boardman Publishing Corporation
- ISSN: 0033-9016
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Inspection; Maintenance of way; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Vehicle tests
- Identifier Terms: Canadian National; Canadian National Railways; Chessie System; Chicago and North Western Transportation Company; Louisville & Nashville Railroad; Southern Railway
- Old TRIS Terms: Fra test cars; Track inspection; Track maintenance equipment
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044439
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Railway Track and Structures
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 15 1976 12:00AM