TANKER LAUNCHING AND JOINING
The method of constructing large-tonnage vessels by parts, with their subsequent welding afloat, makes possible the use of existing sites and permits the modernization and re-equipping of ships. Step-by-step description is given of the procedure involved in the construction of the 15,200-ton dwt. tanker of the Velikiy Oktyabr class. Mechanical, chemical and metallographic tests of weld samples confirmed the high quality of the welded hull, as shown from gammaray examination. Emphasis is laid on particular aspect of the method, viz. that the joining is successfully accomplished without the use of caissons.
- Alekseyev, I F
- Yakimov, N N
- Publication Date: 1970-3
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Flotation; Hulls; Joining; Shipbuilding; Tankers; Welding
- Old TRIS Terms: Flotation joining; Flotation welding; Hull welding; Tanker construction
- Subject Areas: Construction; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00007579
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Joint Publications Research Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 30 1973 12:00AM