PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO AIRPORTS
With the forecast limitations on highway access and parking facilities, an alternative for handling congestion and increasing demand is the use of public transit systems. The Highway Research Board's Committee on Passenger Transportation Economics and Special Committee on International Cooperative Activities held a day-long symposium during the 49th Annual Meeting of the Highway Research Board to examine the potentials of public transportation to airports. Seven speakers from different parts of the world were asked to address the symposium regarding their current plans for public transportation to airports. The presentations and informal notes of several of the speakers are included in this RECORD. The conferees discussed current transit facilities at airports in the United States, Europe, and Asia. In Tokyo there is a separate monorail facility running from downtown Tokyo to Tokyo International Airport. In Cleveland, Boston, and London and at a number of airports throughout the world there are existing subway and railroad links connecting the airport to the rest of the transit and railroad systems. For a number of airports, there are downtown check-in terminals, and buses are used on existing streets and arterials to get to the airport; and for several airports, consideration is being given to separate bus rights-of-way between the central business district and the airport.
- This publication consists of 7 related reports.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1970
- Pagination: 32 p.
- Highway Research Record
- Issue Number: 330
- Publisher: Highway Research Board
- TRT Terms: Airport access; Bus transportation; Central business districts; Landside capacity; Monorail transportation; Parking; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Rapid transit; Subways; Traffic congestion
- Identifier Terms: Cleveland Hopkins International Airport; Cleveland Transit System; Heathrow Airport; Kansas City International Airport; Logan International Airport; Tokyo International Airport
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00044065
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 1 1989 12:00AM