An outdoor recreation study in the Shire of Flinders
This is the first of three volumes produced on this study. Volume 2 is called study of recreation in the shire of flinders volume ii: selected site surveys. Volume 3 is called activity profiles for hang gliding, horse riding, off road motorcycling and underwater sports. The broad aims of the study included an examination of the outdoor recreation usage of both the transport system and the recreation sites and the determination of factors which most influence the choice of outdoor recreation activities and locations. The study data were obtained from a household survey and a site survey in the shire of flinders in 1977 and 1978. The data collected included socioeconomic characteristics, data on activity participation and locations and the participants' attitudes to the activities and sites, as well as the sites' attributes. Analysis concentrated on the data from the mornington peninsula and the shire of flinders. The major conclusions include the high dependence on the motor vehicle for travel in the pursuit of outdoor recreation, the relatively low correlation of income with types of activities pursued, the high correlation of levels of education with the choice of improved or natural sites and the relative consistency of recreation activity choices throughout the life span of participants (a).
- Report prepared for the joint advisory committee consisting of participants from the following Victorian departments and organizations: Ministry for Conservation; Ministry of Transport; Country Roads Board; Department of Youth, Sport and Recreation; Port Phillip Authority; Western Port Regional Planning Authority; Upper Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges Authority; and the Shire of Flinders.
John Paterson Urban Systems Pty Ltd,
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 1 vol (various pagings)
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Data collection; Geotechnical engineering; Recreation; Rural areas; Sociology; Transportation; Travel behavior; Urban areas
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- ATRI Terms: Attitude; Data collection; Recreation; Rural area; Site investigation; Sociology; Transport; Travel behaviour; Urban area
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology;
- Accession Number: 01438716
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 24 2012 9:49PM