LICKING THE OIL SLICK

The Cabot Corp in Boston has developed a silica compound that can be applied in dry powder form to floating slicks. The chemical acts as a wick, drawing up oil by capillary action, insulating it from the lower temperature water, thus permitting combustion. Up to 98% of slick can be thus burned. The remaining 2% forms a hard floating crust that can be easily collected. The chemical has no known toxic effect on marine life or shore birds.

  • Availability:
  • Corporate Authors:

    American Society of Mechanical Engineers

    Two Park Avenue
    New York, NY  USA  10016-5990
  • Publication Date: 1970-6

Media Info

  • Pagination: 51 p.
  • Serial:
    • Mechanical Engineering
    • Volume: 92
    • Issue Number: 6
    • Publisher: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
    • ISSN: 0025-6501

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00007419
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Engineering Index
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Dec 22 1973 12:00AM