SENSING AND COMMUNICATION BETWEEN VEHICLES
This final report will be of interest to traffic engineers, motor vehicle designers and other public officials responsible for the design of safer vehicles and improved driver communication aids. The investigation presents an evaluation of four automobile taillight signal systems, an investigation of the motorist's use of turn signals, a study of longitudinal control systems for platoon movement and a study of passing decisions on a multi-lane expressway. An infrared source sensor system has been designed and tested to provide the driver with a visual display of relative velocity and spacing between vehicles. Aerial photogrammetric methods have also been devised to aid in the study of traffic flow phenomena. It is believed that this research effort is one of the most comprehensive studies to date of modern intervehicular sensing and communication systems.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00775614
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Rockwell, T H
- Treiterer, J
- Publication Date: 1968
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 105 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 51
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
- TRT Terms: Driver information systems; Longitudinal control; Photogrammetry; Taillamps; Traffic flow; Traffic platooning; Traffic signal control systems; Turn signals; Vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Driver communication; Infrared source sensors; Signal systems
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00225467
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-010 656
- Files: HSL, TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Oct 8 1996 12:00AM