Fatigue classification of welded joints in orthotropic steel bridge decks
This dissertation presents the research into fatigue classifications of welded joints in orthotropic steel bridge decks. These classifications are needed to calculate the fatigue life of these joints and should be included in the design codes. A review of all available data on orthotropic decks and related fatigue test results is included. The majority of the full scale fatigue testing on orthotropic decks has been carried out by members of a European Working Group. The statistical analysis procedure used to derive the weld classes for Eurocode 3 is used to place all of the main joints in the appropriate class, and to rank different designs of each joint. In addition, recommendations are made for both good joint design and those to be avoided. The composite action between the steel deck plate and the surfacing on orthotropic decks is an important aspect of the performance, in particular because the stiffness of the combined unit helps to reduce strains in the welded structure as well as in the surfacing, which results in a longer lifetime. Numerical as well as experimental analysis of the stress reduction is reported. Furthermore this dissertation highlights site measurements on existing bridges and shows the development of different wearing course systems.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9789090219332
- Doctoral thesis presented to Delft University of Technology.
- Kolstein, M H
- Publication Date: 2007-6
- Pagination: 461p
- TRT Terms: Bridge decks; Bridge design; Bridges; Fatigue (Mechanics); Joints (Engineering); Orthotropic plates; Steel bridges; Welding
- ATRI Terms: Bridge deck; Bridge design; Joint; Material fatigue; Orthotropic plate; Steel bridge; Welding
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 01387055
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- ISBN: 9789090219332
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 22 2012 10:02PM