Road user charging: is this the way forward in the Middle East?
Dubai's RTA (Roads & Transport Authority) introduced its electronic toll collection scheme - the first in UAE, branded as 'Salik', in July 2007. Salik aims to ease traffic flow in the city and encourage road users to reconsider other travel options including Dubai's well-funded public transport network. Dubai has taken regional leadership in the use of road user charging (RUC) to enable high efficiency charging operations in the urban environment and has the potential to join the ranks of other best-in-class charging and tolling schemes worldwide, including those in Stockholm and London.
- Nazer, Z
- Publication Date: 2008-6
- Pagination: 5p
- TRT Terms: Automated toll collection; Congestion pricing; Highway traffic control; User charges
- Geographic Terms: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- ATRI Terms: Automatic toll collection; Congestion pricing; Road user charges; Traffic management
- Subject Areas: Finance; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 01385952
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB
- Files: ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 22 2012 7:24PM