MAIN CONSTRUCTION DATA AND SERVICE RESULTS OF THE TM410 DIESEL ENGINE
In the design of the TM410 medium speed engine maximum attention had to be given to the reliability factor, for the growing use of the unattended engine room demands that no work other than planned maintenance is necessary. The first four years of experience with this engine have shown the marked degree of success in achieving reliability and low operating costs. The paper describes the main characteristics of the engine, the design features being stiffness with low mechanical stresses and deformations, weight being considered of minor importance, examples discussed being the construction of the bedplate, cylinder block and connecting rod; low temperature and low thermal stresses of the parts forming the combustion space, prevention of thermal cracks being phenomena to avoid in seeking optimal reliability, temperature level at the gas-side being of extreme importance in the reliability of exhaust valves, piston rings and cylinder liners, construction details and temperatures at full load of cylinder liners, cylinder head, piston and exhaust valves being given. The more importance should be placed on optimal reliability than on easy maintenance is a theme of the manufacturers discussed in relation to camshaft and cam construction and tests performed to prove the good performance of the engine running at low loads on high viscosity fuels are described. The paper concludes with descriptions of craft equipped with TM410 engines and mention of the special attention given to close cooperation with yards to ensure optimal installations, and service results bearing on reliability, inspection intervals and wear figures are discussed. Finally, based on these data expected life of engine components is given.
- 45 Conference Papers presented at IMAS 73, London, 4-8 June 1973, organized by the Institute of Marine Engineers. This paper is available only in a set of 6 papers in Subject Group 8: "Marine Diesel Engines" at $10.00.
Institute of Marine EngineersMemorial Building, 76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN, England
- Van der Vegt, J
- Publication Date: 1973
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Operating costs; Performance; Reliability
- Old TRIS Terms: Medium speed diesels; Power plant performance
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00048485
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM