NEW DEVELOPMENT IN MEDIUM SPEED DIESEL ENGINES TO INCREASE RELIABILITY, ECONOMICAL OPERATION AND OUTPUT
The authors discuss points of concentration for development work on medium speed marine diesel engines related to market requirements which create main targets for the diesel engine manufacturer covering increasing operational reliability and availability and reducing operating costs. Examples are given of ways and means of achieving these objectives related to trends towards higher cylinder output and larger cylinder diameter, increased activity in damage analysis and reliability engineering. The paper discusses the advantages of the medium speed diesel engines when considered in relation to the whole propulsion system, these including low unit costs, flexible power distribution, low costs for fuels and lubricants and small space requirements. Also examined, with examples, are some areas in which the operational safety of medium speed engines might be endangered and measures taken to rectify such difficulties. Details are then given on matters of specific design, such as two part pistons which have steel upper and aluminum lower parts, problems related to articulated connecting rods in V engines, modifications to cylinder heads for highly supercharged four stroke engines and variations in cylinder liner designs related to operational safety. The paper concludes with a description of the chief features of a large, new, four stroke engines with a provisional cylinder output of 1600 bhp.
- 45 Conference Papers presented at IMAS 73, London, 4-8 June 1973, organized by the Institute of Marine Engineers. This paper is available only in a set of 6 papers in Subject Group 8: "Marine Diesel Engines" at $10.00.
Institute of Marine EngineersMemorial Building, 76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN, England
- Syassen, O
- Luther, K
- Publication Date: 1973
- TRT Terms: Economics; Electric power plants; Engines; Operating costs; Reliability; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Engine design; Medium speed diesels; Power plant economics
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00048483
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM