DYNAMIC SEALS IN MERCHANT SHIPS
The paper discusses the main types of seal applications on board ships. These include cargo pumps, stern tubes, condensation pumps, fuel oil pumps and refrigerant pumps. Main problem areas are considered and reviewed. Alternative types of seal are considered and results of comparative performance assessments of alternative pump packings are presented. Data is also given from sealing tests on sea water, fresh water, boiler feed water, diesel oil and lubrication oil.
- 45 Conference Papers presented at IMAS 73, London, 4-8 June 1973, organized by the Institute of Marine Engineers. This paper is available only in a set of 3 papers in Subject Group 3: "Fuel Lubrication and Fire" at $7.50.
Institute of Marine EngineersMemorial Building, 76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN, England
- Nau, B S
- Publication Date: 1973
- TRT Terms: Design; Engine mechanical components; Seals (Devices)
- Old TRIS Terms: Gland packing; Mechanical seals; Pump seals; Seal design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00048462
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM