EVOLUTION OF A NEW RANGE OF MARINE TURBINE GEARBOXES
This paper follows in sequence previous papers by the author in which he forecast a "new breed of gearcase in which the load-carrying frame is reduced to a single fabrication", outlined the principles of such a gearcase and gave details of the background of research and development. At the time of IMAS 73 this new gearcase, in its form applicable to cross-compound turbines, will be in service in four different classes of ships, in three different dual tandem frame sizes and one single tandem frame. After covering service experience with prior gearcases, the paper describes th initial conception of the new design, its evolution and the arrival at a position where a standard range of boxes can now be provided in conjunction with a standard range of turbines to cover all the power and speed requirements likely in the foreseeable future. Manufacturing experience, consequential design modification and performance on trials at sea are also discussed. The author looks into the future, noting the effect of surface-hardened first reduction gear trains in extending the power and speed range of the gearbox without sacrificing its basic principles, and discusses the special requirements of the gas turbine drive and the provision of reversing means within the confines of a compact layout. In conclusion some comments are made on turbine and main shafting alignment problems insofar as they affect the new gearcase.
- 45 Conference Papers presented at IMAS 73, London, 4-8 June 1973, organized by the Institute of Marine Engineers. This paper is available only in a set of 7 papers in Subject Group 1: "Boilers, Main Steam Turbine and Gearing" at $10.00.
Institute of Marine EngineersMemorial Building, 76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN, England
- Young, I T
- Charles, C J
- Publication Date: 1973
- TRT Terms: Alignment; Design; Gears; Hardness; Shafts (Machinery); Transmissions; Turbines
- Old TRIS Terms: Gear boxes; Gear hardness; Geared turbines; Shaft alignment; Turbine gear design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00048452
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 14 1973 12:00AM