Encouraging Bicycling and Walking: The State Legislative Role
This report presents an overview of recent directions in walking and bicycling in the United States. It discusses the health, economic, environmental and public benefits of bicycling and walking. It also investigates the activities of the states in planning, safety, and funding, as they relate to these nonmotorized forms of transportation. The report notes that there are more cyclists and pedestrians on the road today, and it is more important than ever to accommodate their needs for safe roads and facilities, and for traffic laws that take their needs into account.
- Record URL:
National Conference of State Legislatures444 North Capitol Street, NW, Suite 515
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 2008-11
- Media Type: Web
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycling; Cyclists; Economic benefits; Environmental quality; Financing; Laws; Pedestrian safety; Pedestrians; Planning; Public health; Walking
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bicycle safety
- Subject Areas: Law; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 01343225
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 27 2011 2:31PM