BASELINE SYSTEM DEFINITION: URBAN GRAVITY-VACUUM-TRANSIT

Details of the construction and operation of the baseline urban gravity vacuum transit system (gvt) are presented. Cylindrical, pressure-tight trains travel through a pair of steel tubes in underground tunnels, which dip between stations to depths as great as 2,000 feet. These tubes are evacuated by electrically-powered pumps or compressors located near the stations. The "baseline system" described in this report reflects a configuration that is considered to be best suited for very large cities (populations above two million people). The gvt concept employs gravity for roughly 70% of its total energy requirement and atmospheric air for the remaining 30%. By accelerating passengers at a rate much higher than they feel, it permits average speeds roughly twice that of present-day urban transportation systems. At any arbitrary acceleration comfort level, gvt permits effective speeds substantially higher than the theoretical limit for horizontal transportation systems with stage lengths of less than 10 miles. Maximum speed would be 245 mph.

  • Corporate Authors:

    Tube Transit Corporation

    P.O. Box 11335
    Palo Alto, CA  USA  94306
  • Authors:
    • EDWARDS, L K
    • Skov, B E
  • Publication Date: 1968-5

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00044200
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
  • Files: TRIS, USDOT
  • Created Date: Jun 15 1974 12:00AM