A DIESEL HYDRAULIC LOCOMOTIVE
A diesel hydraulic locomotive of 1600 hp for heavy switching, build by MaK in Germany, weighs from 163,000 to 200,000 lb--depending on features--on four axles. It is powered by an eight-cylinder turbocharged 1000-rpm engine with air-to-air charge cooling. The Voith hydraulic transmission has two converters to provide reversing by filling and emptying one converter for each direction of travel.
- This paper was presented at the ASME Winter Annual Meeting, November 28-December 2, 1971. The notification of this paper appeared in Mechanical Engineering.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Publication Date: 1971
- TRT Terms: Diesel hydraulic locomotives; Locomotives; Switching locomotives
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00041680
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Mechanical Engineering
- Report/Paper Numbers: 71-WA/RT-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 15 1973 12:00AM