REPORT OF THE FIRST NATIONAL PLANNING CONFERENCE ON DOMESTIC SHIPPING
The first National Planning Conference on Domestic Shipping was held in St. Louis, Missouri, April 4- May 4, 1972. The conference was sponsored by the Maritime Administration. This report constitutes the permanent record of the Conference. It is organized in three volumes: Volume 1 summarizes the Conference's recommendations, origins and objectives, organization and operation, program and presentations, and panel reports. Volume 2 details the specific program elements of each of the four panels. Volume 3 contains the presentations of the speakers who appeared before the Conference. The Conference was divided into four panels, representing the major functional concerns of the industry: Operations and Facilities (Panel 1); Finance and Insurance (Panel 2); Legislation and Regulation (Panel 3); and Research and Development (Panel 4). The objectives of the Conference were to: (1) Critically review the status of the industry and identify the major problems that are impeding the progress of the industry in providing improved economical, efficient, and safe transportation services. (2) Outline a five-year program that the Maritime Administration can undertake in cooperation with the industry to resolve as many of these problems as possible. (3) Recommend specific actions in the form of program elements, with associated priorities and resource requirements, for early implementation as part of the five-year program.
- Volume 1, Conference Report, COM-73-10232, 76 pp; Volume 2, Program Elements, COM-73-10233, 149 pp; Volume 3, Remarks Presented at the Conference, COM-73-10234, 92 pp.
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1972-5
- TRT Terms: Domestic transportation; Inland water transportation; Marine transit; Operations; Policy; Shipping; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Domestic shipping policies; Inland waterways transportation; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Policy; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00041503
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 2 1978 12:00AM