RESUME OF LONG CAR TRACKING PROBLEMS
It was necessary to employ a special coupler in the design of the 86'6" Hy-Cube box car for automotive stampings. To permit those cars to negotiate curves it was necessary to use a nonstandard 60-in. "F" shank coupler with a Type "E" head. The coupler carriers have been broken on several of the cars as they were passing over vertical curves of lesser radii than the cars were designed to negotiate. Coupler carriers on other cars coupled to Hy-Cube cars have been literally torn off while negotiating vertical curves. The most prevalent difficulty with the long couplers on cars with long overhangs, is caused by missed couplings. Accidents of this kind smash angle cocks, train line nipples, uncoupling mechanisms and in many cases causes much damage to the center sills, especially to sliding center sills. The answer to longer trains and reduced draw-bar pull may be automatically controlled locomotives spaced in trains.
- Technical Proceedings from 1964 Railroad Engineering Conference.
Symington Wayne Corporation2 Main Street
Depew, NY USA
- Douglass, J R
- Publication Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Automobile rack cars; Couplers; Curved track; Design; Drawbars; Freight cars; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Safety; Technology
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00039513
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 5 1976 12:00AM