FLEXIBLE POROUS FLOATING BREAKWATERS
Observation of the effect of towed rafts of pulpwood on lake and ocean waves led to a systematic investigation at model scale. An empirical equation compatible with wave theory was devised and lines representing this equation together with points representing experimental results are graphically illustrated for different wave conditions. An example of the application of the equation to prototype wave action is given. Four box booms with porous fronts, arranged in series, were substituted for the model pulp-wood jam and proved to be effective in damping waves.
- Abstract prepared by Texas A&M University.
Conference on Coastal Engineering (11th),
- KENNEDY, R J
- Marsalek, J
- Publication Date: 1968-9
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Breakwaters; Damping (Physics); Floating breakwaters
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00050940
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Maritime Research Center, Galveston
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 15 1974 12:00AM