STUDY OF EGGERS METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF WAVEMAKING RESISTANCE
One of the assumptions in Eggers method for the determination of the wave resistance of a ship form from transverse surface-profile measurements is that a near-field term in the expression for the surface disturbance may be neglected. Application to a family of vertical struts, with drafts varying from shiplike dimensions to infinity, indicates that, by measuring the transverse profiles at many sections at least one model length downstream, the error due to this assumption can be reduced to less than one percent for forms of shiplike draft, but may be as large as 5 percent for drafts of the order of magnitude of the model length. A procedure for reducing these errors further is suggested. ( Author )
University of Iowa, Iowa CityIowa City, IA USA 52242
- Landweber, L
- Tzou, KTS
- Publication Date: 1967-3
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Wave resistance
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00001895
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Defense Documentation Center
- Report/Paper Numbers: IIHR-103 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NONR161105
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 30 1973 12:00AM