MARKETING TECHNIQUES AND THE MASS TRANSIT SYSTEM
The report, a transit information and marketing study, was performed with two objectives in mind: To identify marketing and information techniques being used successfully by mass transit systems to increase patronage and to make their systems more accessible to the public; and to develop a model for evaluating transit information and marketing systems and to develop methods to increase the effectiveness of these systems. Three methods were used to gather the information in the report: a literature search, a written questionnaire to transit systems, and visits to five cities for personal interviews with transit system officials. The main problems are found to be competition with other transit modes (especially automobiles), increasing costs, and communications barriers between the transit service and the public. Recommendations are made and areas where further work and research may be useful are suggested. A companion handbook to the report includes specific examples of advertisements and promotional pamphlets for use by all media.
- Prepared in cooperation with Mark Battle Associates, Inc., Washington, D.C. See also PB-223 736.
National Urban League, Incorporated52 East 52nd Street
New York, NY USA 10022
- Publication Date: 1973-7
- Pagination: 107 p.
- TRT Terms: Advertising; Commuter service; Handbooks; Management; Market research; Marketing; Mathematical models; Passenger service; Planning; Prices; Product development; Promotion; Public relations; Public transit; Questionnaires; Rapid transit; Reviews; Ridership; Surveys; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Promoting
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00050746
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-DC-06-0020 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-533
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 31 2003 12:00AM