TRANSIT STATION JOINT DEVELOPMENT
Research was conducted to survey the problems and opportunities relating to joint development around transit stations of existing or proposed transit systems. The six sites selected for case study include the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston Metropolitan Area, Buffalo, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. The objectives of the project were to assist representatives of local agencies in the preparation of draft applications to UMTA for funds to do joint development planning, and to provide a report identifying possibilities for and constraints to transit station joint development. The city applications are included in an appendix. The report discusses six major general categories of constraints to joint development with respect to legal, economic, institutional, and engineering and design factors. The recommendations of the report to provide a stronger basis for joint development relate to changes in the approach to transit station planning and implementation, Federal financing, Federal coordination and evaluation of transit station planning, and changes in State legislation. The text includes 20 illustrations, which includes a suggested organization diagram for transit station area planning.
- Prepared in cooperation with U.S. Conference of Mayors, Washington, D.C., and Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill Development Research Associates.
National League of Cities1612 K Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20006
- Publication Date: 1973-6
- Pagination: 247 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Commuter service; Coordination; Expenses; Intermodal terminals; Joint development; Land use; Legal factors; Legislation; Passenger service; Rail transit stations; Railroad stations; Rapid transit; Systems engineering; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation
- Geographic Terms: California; Illinois; Massachusetts; New York (State); Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Osdot; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00050745
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Report
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-20021
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 31 2001 12:00AM