HINDCAST STORM WAVES FOR COMPILATION OF WAVE STATISTICS
The offshore industry needs storm wave information, particularly wave statistics, for structure designs. A systematic wave hindcast study requires: data for historical storms; development of wind method; calculation of waves from winds, allowing for water depth effects; and compilation of wave statistics from hindcast data. An example of using a systematic hindcast approach for hurricane waves along the Louisiana Gulf coast is described. By dividing the overall hindcast work into separate phases and by devoting concentrated research effort in each phase, substantially improved methods were developed for hindcasting hurricane winds and waves.
- Prepared for meeting, April 2-3, 1973.
Society of Petroleum Engineers6200 North Central Expressway
Dallas, TX USA 75206
- Hsu, F H
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Coast and river protective works; Hurricanes; Technology; Wave measurement; Wind waves
- Old TRIS Terms: Hindcasting
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00050525
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: AIME #SPE 4323 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 11 1974 12:00AM